Below are the 24 statements the American Mental Wellness Association has created to see significant comprehensive reform in the USA. Each statement contains additional information and resources for how YOU can implement change in each area.
The 24 Statements
1. NOT ONE MORE preventable suicide or self-injury because a child or adult could not get the mental health care they needed when they were in crisis.
2. NOT ONE MORE person treating mental health as separate from physical health
3. NOT ONE MORE person self medicating their emotional pain with drugs or alcohol because they did not receive proper mental health treatment.
4. NOT ONE MORE person imprisoned and punished for being sick, when they should be treated in a hospital.
5. NOT ONE MORE family member afraid to call 911 for help, for fear that their loved one experiencing a mental health crisis would be shot or arrested rather than taken to a hospital.
6. NOT ONE MORE man, woman, or child turned away from an inpatient or outpatient medical facility for mental health care treatment when they needed help.
7. NOT ONE MORE person avoiding mental health care for themselves or a loved one for fear of the stigma a diagnosis of mental illness would bring.
8. NOT ONE MORE year when it is easier for someone struggling with a mental illness to get a gun than to get an appointment with a mental health professional.
SAMHSA Treatment Referral Helpline
Get general information on mental health and locate treatment services in your area. Speak to a live person, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST
SAMHSA Early Serious Mental Illness Treatment Locator